Tragus piercing has become quite popular among the trendsetters and fashionistas. However, you have to be a little careful while going for self piercing. It may be a little painful, as you will be piercing a part of your body. But the pain ultimate pays off as you will be adding a new look to yourself.
Difficulty level: Moderately difficult
Time required: 1 hour
First get your resources on a table carefully placed on a sterile paper towel.
1. Anti-bacterial hand wash.
2. A new Introcan needle.
3. A skin marker pen.
4. A small bottle of saline solution.
5. A pair of Latex gloves x2.
6. Some cotton wool pads.
7. An O-ring jewelry piece for the pierced ear. It should be sterile to avoid any possibility of infection.
8. Two mirrors.
Estimated cost: A bit costly
Before you start, tie your hair in a pony tail or wear a hair-band so not a single strand comes in between and disturb the procedure.
1. Wash both of your hands with the anti-bacterial hand wash so as to keep it disinfectant. You will be using your hands to do the piercing and so make it a point to keep it clean.
2. Set the two mirrors on your table so that your tragus is clearly visible by the reflection of one mirror on the other. Instead of being too sure about yourself, it is better to take a clear look at what you are doing and for that the setting of the mirrors.
3. Unpack the skin marker pen and apply the saline solution with the cotton wool pads on the tragus and the surrounding areas. The skin marker is important as it helps you decide the proper position to get your piercing done.
4. Put on the first pair of Latex gloves and get a marking done on the tragus.
5. Remove the gloves and unpack the piercing needle. After wearing the next pair of clean gloves, align the needle with the pen marked tragus. Now, it is a little tricky but the mirrored hand-eye coordination is what you should focus on. This may take a moment for you to get used to.
6. Put your thumb at the back of the tragus to make sure the needle is in a proper position and angle so that the piercing is done straight.
7. Before giving a final push to the needle, hold little piece of cotton with your thumb at the back of the tragus.
8. Now follow the piercing with the sterile piece of jewelry and fix the o-ring onto the end. If there is minimal bleeding, remove it with a saline solution soak.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Why are the mirrors necessary?
A. Body piercing leaves behind a permanent mark on your body unlike a pencil mark that can be rubbed off. So, before you do some irreversible disaster to your body and your look, it is better to be careful to see what you are going for and the mirrors are very essential for this purpose.
Q. Is it very painful?
A. This depends on the pain tolerance level of the person. If you have had your ears pierced or any other part of your body, you do not have reason to worry about.
Q. Can a stud be used?
A. A stud can surely be used but for those who are new to body piercing. The o-ring is recommended as this gives space for swelling. Apart from rings and earrings, there are barbells also that can be worn in your pierced tragus.
1. Try tragus jewelry like tragus studs.
2. Along with the tragus you can also go for Helix and Daith piercing.
Things to watch out for
It usually takes 8 weeks for the pierced place to heal and for that you need to take necessary precautions to prevent it from getting infected.
1. Clean the place thrice a day with saline solution and cotton wool pads.
2. Avoid using the mobile phone and earphones on the pierced ear.
3. Avoid touching the area with dirty hands.
4. Wear button up shirts to avoid contact with the pierced ear.