Lip piercing for many young people is a style attitude and is very common. However, it is always better to know a few facts of lip piercing before venturing into it. Lip piercing can be done in multiple numbers or a single piercing just on the perimeter outside the lower or upper lip. There are different types of lip piercing such as Madonna, snake bites, vertical labret, labret, Monroe, lowbret, Medusa and chrome Crawford.
1. There are two sets of treatment required for healing after lip piercing. Apart from the vertical labret, this is necessitated because it relates to the internal oral and external. You need to keep it clean and take care for its speedy healing.
2. Since a portion of the jewelry, whether it is the labret stud or the back of a ring, it rests inside the mouth. This may cause damage to the gums or teeth if proper dental hygiene is not used. This will require that you check every day for signs of deterioration or wear. You will need to take extreme diligence when it comes to your dental care. Should you notice any deterioration of the jewelry, it needs to be removed for safety. Otherwise, it could lead to gum erosion and severe tooth decay, which in itself will be far irreversible and costlier to rectify.
3. It is better to refrain from smoking if you have had an oral and lip piercings done. Cigarette smoke and the toxins can irritate and hurt you. Besides, your body will heal faster and better if smoking is avoided.
4. You also need to be aware that piercing for a labret stud is straight while for the circular barbell or CBR, it is somewhat curved. So, even if the fistula is healed, jewelry switch is not advisable as they will not rest properly due to the different design angles.
5. According to experts, the most recommended is a 14 gauge for the full lips and the smaller 16 gauge for the lip.