Body piercing is not a recent trend. It has been since ancient times and was practiced by both females and males. Body piercing is making a hole or a puncture in a specific part of the body to wear some kind of jewelry in that puncture.
Ear and nose piercings are well known and there are historic records for such piercings. Tongue and lip piercings were found among the African tribals and American tribals while nipple piercing was done by the ancient Romans and genital piercings by ancient Indians.
Body piercing does involve risks. Special care should be taken while piercing as it does lead to infections, allergies and sometimes even body injury. The healing of the piercing varies from a month to about a year or two as in case of naval piercing. Here we provide you with different aftercare tips for different piercings.
Care tips for naval piercing
1. The belly button should be cleaned thoroughly and specifically twice a day without fail with an anti bacterial soap. A cu-tip should be soaked in luke warm water which helps in cleaning any crust formation around the worn ring.
2. Use of non ionized sea salt helps in speedy recovery of the piercing. The proportion of non ionized sea salt should be 1/2tbsp in Â¼ cup of water which has been cooled. The cup in which the preparation has been made should be placed over the naval for 15 minutes.
3. You should not fiddle with the piercing too much. If you wish to see it you may view it in the mirror. The naval jewelery should not be moved round and round. The piercings should not be touched with dirty hands. You should not touch with dirty hands and should not try to lick it.
4. Swimming pools should be avoided. If you still wish to swim, a waterproof bandage should be put on the piercing. After coming out of the pool, the piercing should be cleaned thoroughly.
5. Lavender oil and tea tree oil helps healing of the piercing faster.
6. Change of the naval jewelery should be done only after complete healing of the piercing. It is important to note that the naval button worn should be nickel free so as to prevent any kind of allergies.
7. Care should be taken as to wear curved barbells as they ensure fast healing. Wearing of tight waist belts and frequent bending should be avoided after naval piercing.
Care tips for oral piercing (tongue, cheek, labret, lips)
1. Clean mouth daily with non alcoholic mouthwash for 4 to 5 times a day for 50-60 seconds.
2. Soaks of sea salts should be used to clean the surrounding of the piercing.
3. Avoid touching of the jewelery or the piercing except when cleaning.
4. Hands should be thoroughly cleaned before touching the jewelery or piercing.
5. Small ice cubes should be allowed to be dissolved in the mouth to prevent swelling of the piercing. Even cold drinks prevent swelling.
6. Tobacco, caffeine and oral sex should be avoided. Even spicy food, acidic food, salty food should not be taken.
7. In case of swelling ibuprofen and no steroid containing, anti inflammatory should be used.
Care tips for cartilage piercing
1. Cartilage piercing like naval piercing takes lot of time to heel. Lot of care should be taken after the piercing has been done.
2. Mild antiseptics should be used regularly for cleaning of the piercing.
3. Unnecessary touching of the piercing is forbidden.
4. For any discomfort or any kind of swelling ibuprofen should be used.
Care tips for ear and nose piercings
1. After care for nose and ear piercings is as same as for the other piercings and these are done almost throughout the world.
2. Unnecessary fiddling with the piercing or the jewelery should be not be done.
3. Clean the piercing and the jewelery with antiseptics. Use disposable material for cleaning of the piercings like cotton or gauge.
4. Ibuprofen should be used in case of any infections.
5. Cold compresses should be given to reduce any kind of pain. Salt soaks are also helpful.
6. Jewelery can be worn when the puncture has become completely cured.