A fresh tattoo is a wound and demands special attention in the initial few weeks or till the wound is completely healed. Here are few things you should avoid, just after getting a tattoo:
1. Do not re-bandage your skin.
2. Do not apply any petroleum based product.
3. Do not apply alcohol.
4. Do not rub, scratch or pick at the tattoo.
5. Do not expose the wound to direct sunlight.
6. Keep the fresh tattoo away from water and steam for two weeks.
7. Any cloth touching the tattoo must be clean and soft.
The best bet is to strictly follow what your artist recommends.
Check out more on tattoo